Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What makes people lose their faith?

I have always considered myself very lucky not to have undergone a crisis of the faith to where I felt like leaving the Church. I suppose it was grace that has kept me in the fold. I always found answers in the Church, and no matter what thing was happening I always thought the sacrifice of the Mass, and the Real Presence was the "bottom line." And Matthew 16 is something I believe in - God not wanting to leave things a chaotic mess.

But why do people leave? Is it because of what someone DID to them, and they see the Church and its people as hypocritical? Or having tepid faith to begin with, they seize on these incidents as an excuse to "not bother?" I've never expected people in the Church to be sinless - it's unrealistic - and I do believe the Church is a hospital for sinners. And I can't deny John 6 - "Where shall we go?"


What becomes of people who see things happen in their childhood and youth when there is a stain....some person did something mean and hypocritical, or were predators...or just plain cynics?

I know the "fallen away" can be recovered. But what is it that impels the "fallen away" to come back. I always feel like I'm walking on eggshells when I come across people who "used to be Catholic." I mean, I always pray for them, but I'm often afraid to probe as to "why?" For the ones who return is it a "Road to Damascus" thing...or a gradual return? I expect it's different for every person, how best to nudge the person gently?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
If it's okay I will take some of your questions and answer them as part of my reversion story-they are very pertinent to my journey of faith...

gemoftheocean said...

Thank you! And I have been following your blog on those topics.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, a situation in my own life led to a rigorous questioning of why I was a Catholic, and why should I stay? Thank God, the answer was, as you say, partly Peter's words in John 6, partly the realization that it would be the height of folly to leave the immense Treasure of the Sacraments, founded by Jesus Christ, for a "mess of pottage". Mostly though, it was the grace of God that kept me in the Fold, and for that I thank Him every day. The situation (very complicated, but ultimately silly) continues, but I now pray for those involved instead of wasting energy hating them. God has guided me to begin seeing things His way -- in the light of eternity. I was led to read, reflect, and learn more about the Faith through blogs, books, and the Scriptures. Again with God's grace, this continues, and I pray daily for the grace of perserverance.

a thorn in the pew said...

My brother left the Church after returning. It was a very sad day in our family and he was in the "why bother" camp, I believe. I believe if we carelessly or unknowingly open the door to Satan, we can be left vulnerable to the whims of emotion and mood.

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Karen
I said prayers-hope you managed to resolve the priest problem in some way.
I don't think I'll blog today.
A'level results for oldest son. AAAARRGH!

gemoftheocean said...

Thanks so much to all for the comments. Ditto the prayers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...